Old November 25th 03, 01:17 AM
Chris Stringer

Default Advice? Mt. Bachelor, Mt. Baker, Big Sky or Aleyska? DEC.

The best in-bounds run I've ever taken in my life:

I hiked from the top of Cascade Express at Meadows, up the Superbowl
snow cat trail to 9000 feet. I dropped in, stayed to the left of the
cliffs that drop into Upper Heather, and then proceeded into Clark
canyon, onto the lower heather runout, and then onto the Hood Rover
Meadows runout. 4500 vertical feet, *no stopping*. Talk about a
thigh burner - especially the HRM runout which is pretty flat.

This spring assuming sufficient cover I'll have to do the top of Palmer
to Gov't camp run without stopping... that's about 4700 vertical.

Yup, that hikable stuff above Heather is sweet, especially the next
canyon over which often has untracked for weeks after a storm. You
just have to be willing to hike to get to the good stuff. That first
bit of hiking up the ride of Heather is a bitch, but after that you
can just follow the ridge up and it's great.

If you haven't done White River Canyon yet that's a fun (albeit
illegal) run as well. Stay to riders right off of Cascade and follow
that ridge above the cornice until there is good coverage to your
right. Then duck into the trees and keep traversing over. Eventually
you will pop out into White River Canyon which is beteen Timberline
and Meadows. You can ride all the way down to the highway and then
hitchike back up to the ski area. Just be careful as there is
definitely some avalanche risk as patrol doesn't cover that area.

Chris Stringer
RDCShop.com Online Board Shop
Bend Ski and Board Sport
1009 NW Galveston