Old August 26th 03, 10:49 AM
Jonathan Gogan

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

"BJohansson" wrote in message
I've skied both the Rockies and Austria somewhat extensively. I'm an
American
who lived in southern Germany for 4 years. Innsbruck is not a ski area in
the
sense that Breckenridge or Copper or Vail are resorts. Innsbruck is a
fairly
large town that hosted 2 Olympics. The skiing is 20-30 minutes away from
the
town and quite honestly, not worth your time. As others have stated, the
best
decent skiing near Innsbruck is St. Anton which is a ski resort similar to
the
Colorado resorts. However, St. Anton is about 90 minutes by car from
Innsbruck. There is train service between the 2, but I have no idea what
the
schedule is. As others have also mentioned there is a large variety of
other
"resorts" within 1-2 hours of Innsbruck. I'll echo what the others have
said.
Lech is one of my favorite Austrian resorts, Ischgl is huge (another
"resort"
similar to US resorts), I had great luck with the snow conditions on the
Hintertux glacier. All that being said, Innsbruck is a starting point, not
destination in my view; Unless you're going for the "European experience"
which is great, but if you're a hard-core skier, I think you'll be
disappointed
with the skiing around Innsbruck.

--
[Above] Sounds about right.