Old May 30th 12, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default Lose any toenails yet?

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:27:32 PM UTC-6, lal_truckee wrote:
On 5/29/12 5:57 PM, wrote:

Either you're sitting back too much, or you need bigger boots.

Or you need smaller boots.
Could be you're sliding forward in too big a boot.
Sitting back won't crush your toe if the boots fit properly so you can't
slide forward. In that case sitting back just makes one look dorky and
illuminates poor ski technique and lack of real control, but doesn't pop
off a toenail.

I used to lose the big toenail every winter. I wore my boots very tight and restricted blood flow over the instep to the front of the foot. Add in the cold to the area from skiing soft/deep snow most of the time and it would turn black early in the season. But as everyone knows that has ever hit their finger with a hammer, slammed it in a door, or dropped something on their toes at work, it takes a long time for that new nail to grow out and push the old, ****ed up one out of there. So that old thing just hangs on for months. Snagging on **** and looking ugly. Oh well. I had one on a finger ripped clean off playing baseball. That's a whole different story.