Old January 13th 04, 04:35 PM
lal_truckee

John Smith wrote:

I posted this message over a week ago! And it finally shows up today.
Go figure.

Thanks all for the answers.

I guess, one of the things I'm trying to understand is, what is it that
a good skiier is doing as they seem to be moving straight down the hill
(the fall line as they see it) and they are smoothly making tight rapid
turns (or are they just moving skis from side to side). Maybe they
aren't trying to slow down; maybe they're going as fast as they can but
aren't dealing with the fear factor of falling and being unable to meet
the mortgage while they're laid up. Anyway, they look great doing what
they're doing; which to me is moving down the fall line at their chosen
speed (that is, obviously under control).

You know, you've just re-stated Lito's premise from his justifiably
famous (and the best) book on how to ski, "Breakthrough on Skis" (or the
new edition "Breakthrough on the New Skis") where he points out that
good skiers are "always turning" and proceeds to build a discipline
around that observation.

Good skiers are always turning - there's no moment of hesitation between
one turn and the next; IMO it's that moment of hesitation when unwanted
speed builds up and nerves cringe. If you're always turning and a nerve
twitches, you can just hold the turn a moment more and reduce speed
slightly (but you won't need too, really but if you hesitate betweeen
turns, speed builds and you have to *Do Something* to regain control.
That's a bad thing - it means action must be taken, instead of action
merely postponed. Leads to panic.

Good skiers are always turning.

My kids are switching to snowboards, so while they're taking board
lessons, I'll be taking my own.

Good idea. Then get and read Lito Tejeda-Flores' book.

Enjoy the snow!
JS

MattB wrote:

John Smith wrote:

I'm an intermediate skier. I need more lessons. These things I know
are true. And one other truth I know is that I frequently feel out of
control when I try to ski the fall line. When I ski the fall line I
feel like I'm just going faster and faster and beyond my comfort zone.
As I approach that discomfort zone, I stop or I begin wide slow
traverses of the run.

I'm not so worried about speed as I am about control; I can't afford
time off from work due to injuries.

What's involved, technically, in maintaining a controlled speed when
skiing the fall line (I'm tired of imitating the ball rolling down the
hill at the mercy of gravity)?

JS

Lots of turns. Hard edging (if it's firm).

Maybe yours turns (assuming you are making some) don't have enough "bite"
and you're really just sliding back and forth. If that sounds like
what you
are doing try using more angulation (going farther onto your edge by
driving
your hip and knee inward).

Like you mentioned, more instruction would probably help as we can't see
what's going on. Sometimes a lesson with video so you can see yourself
is a
big help. Hope that helps!

Matt