Old May 10th 05, 04:15 AM
Stephen B.

"VtSkier" wrote
SNIP
This suggests that boot sole *bottom* wear may not be
as critical as sometimes suggested. A release check will
determine the limits.

Now I wear AT boots with vibram soles a lot because I have
cause to get out of my skis and walk around a lot during
the course of a "working" ski day. The vibram sole may be
the worst thing to put between your leg and your binding.
Maybe even worse than a severely worn alpine boot sole.

To lessen this effect, I'm a FIRM believer in active AFD
devices. So far, only Marker and Tyrolia (and maybe Atomic)
have devices that I feel comfortable with. Every body else
cheaps out with teflon devices which can accumulate dirt
and not work as advertised, but plenty good enough for
newish alpine boots.

SNIP

VT,
Have you really seen Teflon strips collect dirt and grime so they stop
working? Wouldn't this same dirt and grime cause more havoc in the active
AFD devices? I am sure you have heard of the KISS principle, the Teflon
sounds allot simpler to me. I admit I have not paid attention to active AFD
devices so I would be very interested in your reasoning, and description of
them.

Stephen B.