Old December 21st 04, 03:43 PM
MoonMan

Mary Malmros wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

Sven Golly wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote in
newsaadnb1kYOQ02lrcRVn- :

snip

What invasion of privacy?

If I want to race at an national (or for that matter International)
level I have to agree to drug testing. No one is forcing me to do
this it is my choice!

No wonder drug testing is such a growth industry, when people conflate
and misunderstand the issues like this. Yes, MoonMan, you do have to
agree to "drug testing" if you want to race on any number of levels.
It is a condition imposed by the governing body of the sport -- not
the gummint. The justification for said testing is that they want to
prevent people from using _harmful performance-enhancing drugs_.
Accordingly, their mandate is to test for drugs that are in that
category. They're not supposed to test for ginseng, or for that
matter water, which are performance-enhancing but not harmful; and
they're not supposed to test for substances like marijuana, cyanide,
or fugu fish poison, which are harmful or intoxicating but not
performance-enhancing. They are supposed to test _only_ for
_harmful performance-enhancing substances_. So, yes, you have to
agree to "drug testing" if you want to race. You do _not_ have to
agree to be tested for any drug or substance on the face of the
earth. There is no justification whatsoever for it.

I don't have to agree to testing for "any drug or substance on the face of
the earth" I have to agree to be tested for specific drugs and groups of
drugs listed in a totally incomprehensable document.
mind you it's random testing and I haven't been tested yet and for that
matter do not expect to be, I'm not good enough

And _any_ of the testing _is_ an invasion of privacy. Checking
through someone's bodily fluids is at least as much of an invasion as
going to their house and rummaging through their closets. The
argument is made that in some instances, the invasion of privacy is
necessary and justified. But as soon as they -- or you -- start
getting weak and wobbly about the justification, they're out of line.

I suppose my point is that I consider that the justification is this case is
valid (in most cases, I'm not convinced about testing for ilegal but not
performance enhancing drugs) and I am only going to give permission if I
think the case is justified. For example if I was going for a job as a
Petrol Tanker driver or an Airline Pilot ie where such testing was relevant.

The biggest problem I have found with the drug testing routine is
finding a decongestant that isn't banned

Use a neti pot and be glad you don't have asthma.

Whats a neti pot ? and yes they just changed the rules on inhalers didn't
they.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!