Old May 6th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Alex Harvey out of the Canadian team!

Thanks for the link. I always wonder about the substance of these
disputes. While a certain esprit de corps can be beneficial, this is
basically an individual sport. The USST initially tried to run up
against that (still?), but then backed off to some degree (Kris Freeman
is hq'd in the east and there's the Alaska bunch). OTOH, if you don't
have a national center with athletes focused around it to some
substantial degree, there's a tendency to devolve. I wonder how the
Norwegians, Swedes and Finns handle this, granted traveling distances
are much less.

Gene

anders wrote:

On May 5, 3:10*pm, wrote:

Probably the greatest xc-skier in Canada, Alex Harvey has been pulled
out from the Canadian cross-country team and its funding because he
wants to stay and train at the (father's) Pierre Harvey National Ski
Centre located at Mont-Ste-Anne, QC, rather than training in the
Rockies (AB), *4 000 km away.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/cross-coun...tml?cid=rssctv

That is precisely the kind of thing we have those "down jacket guys"
or "sports leaders" for:-)