Old October 24th 03, 07:46 PM
Jim Hutton

Default Chamonix Infos

"Steve" wrote in message
Jim Hutton wrote:

Hollow laughs. Unless the hotel has its own minibuses (divide number of
guests by 8 and multiply by 20 or 30 to find the number of minutes

before
you hit the bottom lift queue), or you can afford a taxi, you are at the
mercy of the worst bus service IN THE WORLD. See advice below.

It's not that bad, except in high season when it is over crowded. It's a
long way from being the worst bus service in the world.

I meant worst SKI-BUS service, of course. Where is there a ski resort with
worse bus service ?

My own experiences include - missing services (ie timetabled buses didn't
arrive at all), all buses left Chamonix town in the morning full with no
backup, so we couldn't get on at a later point, not nearly enough buses from
Argentiere to Chamonix at end of day (I saw vast seas of people trying to
get on the one bus, REAL fighting, and a child crushed in the rush),
overloaded bus with burst tyre just outside Argentiere and no relief bus -
we had to walk back, bus driver refused to stop at our village official stop
and took us nearly a mile further on - so we had to walk back in the rain,
etc .....

The important point is that each ski area is so small, and they are so
widely separated and unconnected, that you really NEED the bus, or your own
car. Compare Val d'Isere, where the runs are so interlinked that you can
ski from one end to the other without using a bus, and yet the bus service
is superb.

I'm a telemark skier, and enjoy skiing red and black trails with the
occasional blue cruiser. Moguls are ok for a few runs, but I don't
want to ski them all day. Would I do better at Les Grande Montets, or
Le Brevent?

Chamonix is a few little ski areas totally unconnected. The only reason
anyone goes there (except by mistake) is for the off-piste at the Grands
Montets (lots of rave reviews on the net which will get you in the mood.

Well, the Flegere and Brevent are connected, for what it's worth. All
the main ski areas in the valley are worth a visit in their own right
and offer superb skiing in spectacular surroundings. The off piste on
the Brevent is superb and the skiing down from La Tour to Vallorcine is
worth a trip in it's own right if the conditions are good.

Flegere and Brevent are supposed to be connected by the Liason (from
Charlanon/Brevent to Lachenal/Flegere) but in several weeks in Chamonix I
haven't seen it open.

Let's face it, compared to the superb interlinked set-up of Val d'Isere or
3V, no-one should go to Chamonix for general convenience skiing. The
attraction (for me anyway) is the off-piste of the Grands Montets, and the
fabulous mountain scenery (which is part of British Alpine legend).

Jim Hutton