Old October 22nd 03, 07:38 PM
Jim Hutton

Default Chamonix Infos

"Lobster Grrrl" wrote in message
I'm headed to Chamonix for two days in March, before I travel to
Zermatt for a week long holiday. I have a couple of questions I hope
you kind folks can help me with. First of all, is it easier to take a
train or bus to Chamonix from Geneva airport? Are these stations
adjacent to the airport? I found a link for the Swiss rail system
online, but nothing for the French rail, any links?
Second, any ideas on where to stay and ski? I'll be traveling alone,
so a single room is fine. Nothing real ritzy, but I would like a bit
of night life nearby. Good places to eat? It appears to me, while
looking at a trail map, that not all villages is Chamonix have lift
service? I see a lift at Les Praz 1060m, Le Savoy, and Argentiere
1252m only. Do you ride a shuttle from your hotel to the lift?

Hollow laughs. Unless the hotel has its own minibuses (divide number of
guests by 8 and multiply by 20 or 30 to find the number of minutes before
you hit the bottom lift queue), or you can afford a taxi, you are at the
mercy of the worst bus service IN THE WORLD. See advice below.

I'm a telemark skier, and enjoy skiing red and black trails with the
occasional blue cruiser. Moguls are ok for a few runs, but I don't
want to ski them all day. Would I do better at Les Grande Montets, or
Le Brevent?

Chamonix is a few little ski areas totally unconnected. The only reason
anyone goes there (except by mistake) is for the off-piste at the Grands
Montets (lots of rave reviews on the net which will get you in the mood.

eg http://www.freeskier.com/places/arti....cfm?refID=147

So I would stay in Argentiere, at the foot of the
Grands Montets, and get there EARLY - also buy your lift pass the night
before if poss.

NB get your ticket for the top cable car (tram) when you arrive at the
middle station - its numbered and the numbers are displayed around - when
yours is near, head for the lift. Busy times, you might get a ticket at 11
am for a 3 pm ride .....but it's worth it, trust me.

Back to the train again. I need to travel from GVA to Chamonix, then
from Chamonix to Zermatt, and finally from Zermatt back to GVA. Is
this possible on one train line? Do the trains run freely across the
Swiss- French border?

Thanks for all your help.
Nadine
,.---.