Old January 1st 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

Default where to stay in arc1800

I used to stock up in Bourg st. Maurice before proceeding up the mountain,
but got fed up with the lengthy queues in the Super U. Now we largely buy
all our provisions in the little shop in Arc 1600. The savings that 2 of
you will make from shopping in the valley will not be significant, but the
choice will be much larger (in particular for fish and sea food). I
generally find getting good vegtables in the resort the biggest problem.

John

IMHO as long as you avoid the rush of chalet-girls (sorry, 'persons')
restocking while the guests are out on the slopes, you'll find Super U
pretty worth a visit - usually MUCH cheaper than any Sherpa store. And don't
forget the Laitière Co-Operative in Bourg, which sells superb Alpine cheeses
like Beaufort at bargain prices.

Stayed at Alpages de Chantel a few years ago, and apart from the usual MGM
comforts from this level of accommodation, I well remember the early
morning schusse down to the lifts. Oh what fun we had watching the unwary
finding themselves on sheet ice later in the season...

Enjoy Les Arcs - one of the best.

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude