Old December 3rd 03, 09:49 AM
Heinz Steiner

Niseko is the best internationly known resort in Hokkaido famous for its
consistent dumps of powder throughout February in particular. Sadly
(from my point of view) it is now rather too well known so you have
plenty of foreigners competing for freshies. There are now quite a few
operators (mostly Australian) running out of Niseko. One of which is
Deep Powder Tours http://www.skijapan.com.au

There are areas in central Hokkaido that aren't as well known as yet.
Recommended for being able to combine lifts & backcountry is Asahi Dake.
For pure backcountry the Tokachi mountains further south and about 45
mins from Furano are excellent.

For general info go to http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php

Onsens of many varieties from hotel based to natural outdoor types are
plentiful and highly recommended!

You can email for more specific info if you want. Drop the #.

Heinz Steiner

Doug Hutchinson wrote:

We are planning on skiing in Hokkaido this Feb but are basically
clueless. Have read the article in Backcountry but that's about it.
Want to ski lifts, backcountry and soak in onsens for about 10 days.
We are former dirt bags who still don't have much money.

Any and all advice appreciated, especially if anyone has
English-speaking connections on Hokkaido. Would consider having a
guide pre-arrange most of the trip. Thanks!