Old December 21st 04, 09:13 PM

Dave Ward wrote:
And what if you aren't all on the same frequency or you have to find

someone
who isn't in your group??? Don't buy the old technology. It isn't

worth
the risk - lives are at stake here.....

Just a follow up ... there are groups out there that are still using
the old frequency because they have not updated. Sad but true. There
are people still using dual frequency beacons for this reason. Mixed
groups are a problem thus the warning in my post - this should be of
concern and my post was not ment to down play this.

Granted, the newer beacons do have better technology, not only in terms
of transmission and reception but also searching patterns. If someone
asks me about using the older beacons my response would simply be only
if you have no choice and any person contacting me would be made aware
of this.

There are people who use the older frequency beacons for purposes other
than avalanche rescue (e.g non emergency situations) - a while back I
knew of some cavers that were using them.
In addition the old beacons can be used to teach people.
Cheers,

Allen