Old February 12th 04, 03:09 PM
Baretta

Default Buying gear in US

As a Canadian who often visits and shops in the US, I can give you some
related advice.

1 - Stores don't care which country you're from as long as you are buying.

2 - Don't take (lots of) cash. All reputable stores I've been to take debit
cards if you want to avoid the credit cards. If not, use the ATM machines to
withdraw required cash as you need it. You'll get the same bank exchange
rate. There might be an advantage to buying with some credit cards though -
eg. airmiles, warranty, insurance replacements, ....

3 - take an empty ski/board bag with you that is well used (borrow if you
have to). Use it for the return trip home with your gear. Seldom will you
get asked if the stuff inside is new, especially since you went on a ski
holiday.

4 - You will have to pay the state sales tax if you want the gear there to
use. But, on your way out of the country, pick up a sales tax claim form.
When you get home, take ALL your receipts and file the claim to get back all
the taxes you paid.

5 - Most countries allow a certain amount of goods to be purchased that are
tax/duties exempt. It usually depends on how long you have been out of the
country, check with your customs office.

"Plake" wrote in message
I'm going to Utah for 2wks in March and want to take advantage of the
USD/GBP exchange rate by buying new ski & board gear:

Rossignol B2/Fritschi Diamir £519 at Snow+Rock, £397 at rei.com
K2 Recon/Salomon SP3/Salomon Dialogue £664 at Snow+Rock, £355 at
rei.com!

So I have a couple of questions:

1) I suspect the US stores are pressurised by the European
manufacturers not to sell gear to Europeans. Is this true, and will
paying cash at the store help?

2) If I declare the stuff at customs when I bring it back to the UK,
what will the import duty cost?

3) If I don't declare it, what are the chances of being caught? And
what happens if you are?

Al