Old June 18th 13, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

Default Long climbs in NJ revisited

On Tue, 28 May 2013 06:52:26 -0700 (PDT), Larry wrote:

Following up on my recent question about climb training in NJ as I
tried to scope out a couple of options. Part of the goal here is to
see if I am even remotely ready for the "climb to the castle" at
Whiteface (not the race, just going at my own pace).

So, Sunrise Mountain road in northern NJ was mentioned here as a long
sustained climb. From the terrain map on Google and a youtube
windshield cam video, it looks pretty flat though. As for Fiddlers
Elbow, while plenty steep, it is also kind of short (under 3 miles). I
have no doubt that both are useful for training, just trying to see
what’s what before making a 2-hr drive up there.

If you are northern NJ, check out 7 Lakes Drive in Harriman State Park, NY
Tiorati Brook Road (shorter)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=far+h...gl=us&t=p&z=15

Ben