Old May 20th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Rollerskis: Placement of Wheels and Cutting Bindings...

I forgot about the binding question. If you're asking if the full
binding is necessary, the answer is no. If you go to a shop, they
ask the boot size to determine whether the rear section(s) is
necessary. If it's beyond your heel, then no. If the binding comes
to about mid-heel, then I'd call or email a good shop to check what the
practice is.

Gene

On Mon, 20 May 2013 10:52:19 -0600
wrote:

If you have a different kind of wheel up front, then maybe it works
ok. For example, I once ran a faster 33mm wheel on the front of my
Marwe combis (with wire wheel attachment), and a 40mm in back. I
didn't like the speed on downhills, but it was otherwise workable.
But my hunch is slow and very slow will be different than medium slow
and medium, though I suppose it can be relative to your strength.

Gene

On Mon, 20 May 2013 05:25:55 -0700 (PDT)
Jon wrote:

Gene--thanks for feedback.

I have a small foot, so rear part of binding hits part of the fork
mount "earlier" than rear of boot would hit anything. And on "Pilot
Sport" binding, the rear part is a solid piece of plastic--that's
why I'm wondering about trimming it (but I don't want to crack it
while doing so)

Great point using wheels of different speeds and it reminds me of
the odd feeling I used to get when using V2 speed reducers to add
more resistance (or their old "variable resistance" add-on).
Definitely took away from enjoying the experience, so maybe I
should just scrap that idea....