Old December 28th 05, 05:44 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have much luck with your gloves/mittens when riding in the rain? Got
truly waterproof gloves? How do you dry your gloves when they get
soaked inside?

It was pouring last week when we were at Sierra-at-Tahoe. Snowing at
the top. Anyway my daughter & I use our Gordini gloves that usually
seem reasonably warm. Mine are Goretex/Primaloft, hers Drimax/Hollofil
II. Anyway they both got soaked through. Less warm when soaked, and by
the afternoon we avoided higher elevations to keep our hands warmer.

Another problem is they won't dry. We used to use REI gloves, and we'd
invert their liners when we were done. These gloves don't seem to want
to do that, and it seemed to mess up the REI gloves after awhile.
After several days of hanging up to dry, I turned most of my gloves
inside out, and it was able to squeeze quite a bit more water out. Not
enough for it to dry though.

We tried using a hair dryer on "cool" to dry the gloves, but the hair
dryer quit.

Help!

I've got some REI gloves as well. They have rubberized palms and a fleece
inner liner. The rubberized part keeps the gloves dry for several hours as
long as the snow isn't melting on the glove itself. Once I get tired of
the water/squishi-ness of the wet liners, I take out the liners and shake
them out. Fleece can hold a lot of water but against the "spin" cycle, the
water readily comes out. Then you have just a barely damp glove and that
lasts for another hour or so. It's not bad actually. I can definitely live
with it, though I'm thinking I might get mitts this year.

-Bruce