Old February 4th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

Default Improving longer distance?

"Ed Miller" wrote in message

I do fairly well in shorter races but when I get much over an hour I
fatigue, (esp legs) and my technique suffers, and some of the people I
worked so hard to pass return the favor. Any general suggestions for
improving more in longer races?
background: fiftyish master skier, 6 years racing, regular skier for
10, gradual SLOW improvement, weak right leg from old ACL tear and
reconstruction (done in the days before they had the operation fully
worked out) Have always had good general strength but never much of an
endurance guy prior to last 10 years.
Thanks

Can't do much this year except to ski at low heart rates for 2 to 3 times
the length of you race distance. Don't expect it to help, and it may even
hurt your racing this year.

Off season is when you build endurance. It's about base, and you seem to be
lacking in that area. You probably need to do long work outs 2 x week, and
make them easy so that you don't burn out.
Upper body endurance is important, so try to paddle or double pole on roller
ski in the off season. Other wise walk up hill with poles, ride a bike,
skate or do anything you like to do. As winter comes grows closer become
more ski specific.

With out knowing more specifics, like you max and resting HR, your goals,
and the distance you plan to excel at, it's tough to make specific
recommendations beyond reading or getting a coach.

BTW I just picked up Sharkey and Gaskill's "Fitness and Health" which is a
newly titled and improved version of a book by Sharkey published years ago.
It would be a good place for you to start.
Anything by these guys who are skiers would be good for you. Also see what
Lee Borowski has written- it's ski specific.

You'll likely have questions about LSD vs. intensity for building
endurance. If you find out the answer, let us know it.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY