Old January 29th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Chris Cole

Default Blood volume?

wrote:
Hi All,

I have a very serious set of varicose veins in my calf, and I have
recently started using a tight support stocking occasionaly. I have not
used it while cycling or skiing, untli today. Today I went sking (both
classic and freestyle) and I felt like I was unstoppable. It was a
strange feeling. I do not recall ever being so on top of my game while
skiing before. It was a strange feeling.

I estimate I normally have 3-4 deciliters (or more) of blood sitting
pooled in these veins. Normally the blood just sits there and fluids
accumulate in my leg in a grotesque swelling manner. With these support
hose, the pooling is virtually non-existant. Is it possible that this
"extra" 3-4 dl circulating somehow improved my oxygen transport such
that I felt like da man today?

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

The extra oxygen-carrying capacity of the normally-pooled blood in your
legs would provide some improvement in your aerobic performance, but
it's difficult to say how large that effect would be.

The additional benefit of the stockings returning venous blood to your
heart more expeditiously is that the "used" blood, lower in pH, is moved
away from the tissues faster.

The reduction in venous congestion also means that, perhaps a little
counter-intuitively, despite your muscles being squeezed, the resistance
to incoming arteriolar blood is reduced and so your muscles are
better-perfused with fresh, oxygen-rich blood while you're wearing the
stockings.

"Skins" have become popular amongst many professional (and amateur)
sportspeople over the past few years, as they are beneficial even if you
don't have varicose veins or other peripheral oedema problems. Here in
Australia we see them used most prominently by a few of our national
cricket players. I'm pondering the merits of buying some for use in the
upcoming (for us) ski season, for the abovementioned reasons but also
because they provide a thermally active, wicking base layer of clothing. =)

Regards,
Chris