Old March 13th 06, 10:30 PM

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:
MB wrote:
How about water skiing? Is *that* skiing too?

It's water-skiing. I don't really see much reason to try and apply
anything about it to (snow) skiing.

I recall seeing a Finnish lady at the recent Olympics very probably
losing a medal because she couldn't hold her downhill together and
crashed into the fence on one of the XC races. Some rest...

Well Friday evening I saw that US late night TV influenced Finnish
politics and the host went and spent 5 days in Finland, and met the
President whom he help to re-elect. Whome he bore some resemeblence.
Like skiing.

So, for how many days can you keep on going just downhill? Downhill-
only surely isn't a viable way of travelling in the backcountry.

It depends on the backcountry.

Compare to eg what backpacking on foot in summer would be, if you
were limited to travel merely downhill.

It would limit you a lot, but it wouldn't prevent you from doing /anything/.

Finland is generally flat.

I guess you could argue that distinguishing between snowshoing and
skiing is snobbish too.

It's practical and functional. Snowshoes don't allow you to glide at
all, skis do, snowshoes are more manoeuvrable.

I would not say the latter.

Anyway, I find it funny that you should find my point of view
snobbish.

It seems to be trying to define a lot of people's hobby out of existence
for no particularly obvious reason other than to look down one's nose at it.

Send them to Vail.
Sort of like Gitmo.