Old May 18th 04, 01:39 AM
Michael A. Riches

in article , Mike Garrison at
wrote on 5/17/04 3:08 PM:

My absolute favorite tent anchors are nylon mesh stuff sacks
filled with snow. They hold insanely well. The snow inside
the sack bonds to the snow outside the sack, and you end up
with a web of nylon imbedded in the snow.

Not really any more work than any other kind of deadman; you
don't bury any hardware that you need, and four or five
nylon mesh bags weigh almost nothing.

Yeah...I've heard of this before, but have never tried yet. It would be
interesting to do some pull tests and see just how much this "stuff sack"
thing really will hold.

It makes a lot sense and they could possibly far, far, exceed the holding
power of pickets or flutes under the right snow conditions, especially if
they were designed like a parachute or drag anchor, on a boat, with the
support webbing or stranding running completely around the bag portion.

Ratzzz...(I have also been amazed at the holding power of snow bollards(sp),
with just a jacket or piece of fleece between the rope and the snow,
"incredible" holding power...)