Old January 2nd 06, 02:29 PM

Default Waxing Question

Okay, so I have started waxing my kids and my boards myself. Did the hot wax
with base prep wax and then hot wax with all temp wax (local "hill" has had
spring like conditions with temps in 50s so snow is very wet and slushy).
Scrapped well, 3M pad polish, and brush with combo brass/nylon brush. I then
did a flouro glide wax (the one in the bottle with applicator on top).
Polished well with pad and brush.

Bases looked great and slid through the soft and slush like no tomorrow on
day one. Came home, 3M padded the bases to remove the white build up that
had accumulated along the leading front edge of the board where it would
ride over the slush and along the edges. Bases looked good after this, still
nice and dark. Day two was okay, but not as fast as day one. Did the same as
after day one, and bases still did not look too bad. Day 3 was much slower
with less glide. At the end of the day, after buffing it was obvious the
area near the edges had lost alot of wax and remained lighter in color after
buffing. My youngest son who still hits the "safety heel side brakes" too
much, his board on the heel side had lost much of wax along that edge. Other
boards also had lost alot of the wax along the edges only.

I know part of it is the trash buildup of junk from the man made snow and
they had lost alot of base over the past week due to temps and rain. The
loss of wax along the edges is to be expected as this is the snow contact
point. I guess what I am asking, is how long should I expect a good wax job
to last? Should I do the flouro after every day to help? I think I remember
reading at one of the suggested web sites (racewax.com) maybe, that very wet
and slushy is quite hard on the wax job?

Any ideas? Can I rehot wax just the edge area or is that a no-no?

Thanks