Old July 10th 03, 08:07 AM
suds

Default It's over. :-(

"Chuck" wrote in message

What, there's no snow on the volcano?

Oh, sorry, I didn't mention that I live on Oahu. No snow here. Our most
recent volcano was what you know as "Diamond Head." It's last eruption was
~250k years ago.

However, the Big Island of Hawai'i has two volcanoes: one active, one
dormant, that reach almost 14,000ft and are occasionally covered in snow.
In fact, "Mauna Kea," at 13796 ft, literally means "White Mountain." It's a
pretty d@mn impressive site. I lived in CO for many years and the 14ners
there were always beautiful to look at but considering that you are already
standing at 5-6k ft when you are looking at them... Now come out here and
stand on the shore or, better yet, on a boat a few miles off shore, and look
at mountains rising 14k feet right up out of the ocean... Not only that,
but these mountains are rising miles from the ocean floor. Measured from
the ocean floor, they are by far the tallest mountains on earth.

No skiing but really good diving, sailing, kayaking, surfing, ... anything
to do with water sports...

suds