Old November 18th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Marty

Default Various

"Mike" wrote in message
* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

No! Besides, you forgot to mention the state of the course when the racer
that got picked to ski last has to go. Still, the best are able to overcome
these types of issues and still be the best. There is already enough math
and science. Ski races are not held indoors - thank God!

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail
was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

Depends on where you are on earth.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

Lift tickets are expensive there.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

Yes!!! Swix HC10 is nice for that.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?

Yes!!!

Did it interfere with your skiing?

Unfortunately, I have plenty of opportunity to ski without the interference
of a good World Cup ski race to rob me of a few runs.
--
Marty