Old March 1st 05, 08:35 PM
David Spencer

"paulk" writes:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski?

You are describing Alta to a "T".

Alta is elemental. There is nothing at Alta other than skiing, eating
and sleeping.

There is no afterski at Alta. None whatsoever.

You eat at your lodge. You eat what your lodge is serving that
night. Some lodges, (eg Alta Lodge and Rustler) have a couple of
selections for main course. At others (eg Snowpine) you get what
they're serving. (Fortunately, it's good).

If you're there six days in March, you are very likely to get at least
one good dump of the finest powder you have ever skiied. Alta's the
best spot in the US for lift-served powder. Don't expect to ski
groomers; they groom the bottom of one side of the hill and a few
boulevards, but otherwise it's ungroomed.

I just got back from three days of skiing, during which it snowed --
heavily and constantly -- for two days. There's lots and lots of snow
on the mountain, so you'll have great skiing even if you don't get a
dump while you're there.

And there's no snowboarding, so the hill doesn't get scraped up.

I need simple accomodation (1 person).

Good, because that's all you'll get!

If you're on your own and don't mind sharing a room with a dozen or
more others of your gender, you can get a bunk in the dorm at one of
the lodges. Rustler and Alta Lodge are what passes for luxury.
Snowpine is quaint and basic. The Peruvian is a frathouse. (If you
don't know what a frathouse is, the movie Animal House will acquaint
you with the idea).

Is it worth of staying in SLC or it's better to stay in resort
(Alta/Snowbird)?

Stay at the mountain.

While prices may seem higher, remember that your meals are included.

You don't want to miss any skiing if they close the roads to the
canyon. Besides, you want to be there when they open the lift.

At Alta, you can get on the lift 45 minutes early if you hire an
instructor for the morning. You get to lay first tracks all over the
mountain. It's a good idea anyway, as it can be tricky for
first-timers to figure out how to get to the really good stuff.

Sholud I split my time between Alta and Snowbird? What about lift
tickets.

For a premium, you can get a combined ticket for Alta and Snowbird.
There are several passes between them. You might want to do it for a
day and see how you like Snowbird. Snowbird has some interesting
terrain, but I spend all my time at Alta.

Alta has some of the lowest lift prices of any major spot in the US.

(P.S.: I am arriving from Europe, I've never been skiing in US before)

You've picked the right spot.

--
dhs