Old February 28th 05, 08:34 PM

On 2/28/2005 12:53 PM, Walt wrote:
paulk wrote:

I am arriving to SLC in March and I will have 6 days for skiing from
March 14. I want to maximize my powder time; don't need any afterski.
Where would you recommend to stay and to ski? I need simple
accomodation (1 person). Is it worth of staying in SLC or it's better
to stay in resort (Alta/Snowbird)?
(P.S.: I am arriving from Europe, I've never been skiing in US before)

Some observations:

1) There is no guarantee that there'll be fresh powder. (although the
week you've chosen is a good bet)

2) If there is a powder dump, the road up to the canyon may be closed.

3) If there is a powder dump, you may not be able to ski until they
finish the avi control, even if you stay on-site.

If you're coming all the way from Europe to ski powder, you probably
want to spend the extra money to stay at the resort instead of staying
in town. That way you're positioned to nab it if there's a dump. See
the three observations above.

Staying at the resort is more expensive than staying in town, but you
can offset that somewhat by not renting a car. You don't need a car -
Alta and Snowbird are quite close together and serviced by inter-resort
shuttles. There's also a bus that goes to Big Cottonwood Canyon with
Solitude and Brighton.

As for inexpensive accomodations in Little Cottonwood Canyon, please let
me know if you find any. I haven't. There's a hostel-style place in
Park City that rents dorm beds for $30 night
http://www.chateauapres.com/ , but it's in PC which gets less powder
than Alta/Snowbird. And of course there are a large number of
inexpensive motels in town - stay in Sandy or Midvale for easy access to
LCC/BCC.

Sholud I split my time between Alta and Snowbird?

I'd say ski each one the first two days, then see what you think. I
greatly prefer Alta, but YMMV. A day trip to Solitude would be worth
doing. If you rent a car and stay in town, you might consider driving
around to Park City for a taste of what you're not missing. Or not.

What about lift tickets.

You can get discount lift tickets at the ski rental kiosk at the
airport. Buy 'em while you're waiting for your luggage. If you stay in
town and rent a car, you can get discounts from
http://www.canyonsports.com/tickets.html Once you're up the canyon
you're paying full price.

What is the discount at the airport in SLC?