Old October 27th 03, 05:19 PM
Dick Gaughan

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

In on Mon, 27 Oct
2003 09:04:38 +0100, "PG" wrote:

You're welcome to your opinions. I'm entitled to mine. The original
proponent asked rsre for discussion on the subject, and by my analysis
virtually all rsre regulars have responded sensibly, with reasoned argument.
Your idea of debate differs from mine - calling others "****wits" hardly
demonstrates respect, and in no way replaces argument.

I reserve my respect for people who have contributed something of
use, or people who are capable of thinking beyond "me, me, me,
right now". I also respect people who are capable of acknowledging
that their opinion is simply their opinion and not universal
truth. I also respect people who take the trouble to base their
opinion on an understanding of fact and who, upon entering into
territory of which they have no previous experience, make at least
the minimum effort to acquaint themselves with the background
reasons as to why the inhabitants of that territory do things in
the way they do before presumptuously berating them and making
idiots of themselves by publicly flaunting their ignorance.

Opinions are as much worth as a midge's effluence unless they are
based upon something resembling knowledge or upon at least a
willingness to consider that someone who disagrees might actually
be neither stupid nor willfully obstructive but might be doing so
for very sound reasons. Contempt prior to investigation is not the
exclusive preserve of Sun readers, unfortunately

--
DG