Old August 8th 12, 03:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
R1

Default team required for world championships

Hey sorry for the delay in replying - for some reason Google Groups didnt advise that i had a reply. This offer still stands. I have since participated in the event a second time, and am gearing up for my third in Feb 2013.

The competition website is in both Finnish and English - see, for example: http://www.umpihankihiihto.pudasjarv....php?file=1000

To summarise it all in a few sentences:

- The event is 2 to 3 days long, depending on the route you take.

- You need to be able to ski for at least 10 hours per day, all cross-country in virgin snow.

- The terrain is generally hilly but not mountainous (although it has its moments).

- The highest point in the area is only 430m, but its up and down all the way. For a local map see http://www.infokartta.fi/pudasjarvi/?id=4193

- Each day requires different skills, but as a guide the long distance event can be done in 8 hours. 10 hours is closer to the average. However some require 12 hours. It all hinges on which route you take and how lost you get.. For details on final times, see http://www.umpihankihiihto.pudasjarv...oajat_2011.pdf

- The camping can be interesting, eg chopping wood and lighting a fire before your sweat-soaked clothes freeze to your back.

Whilst prior experience is recommended, I dont want to put anyone off if they're serious about having a go.

On Monday, March 21, 2011 4:11:58 PM UTC, runcyclexcski wrote:
The site is in Finn.

Can you summarize the event in a few sentences (distance, terrain,
elevation gain/loss, best time).

On Mar 10, 4:26*pm, No Spam wrote:
This is a long-shot but here goes...

Is anyone interested in making a team for the 2012 off-track skiing
world championships in Lapland?

You will need to be able to camp in -40C.

For details, seewww.umpihankihiihto.pudasjarvi.fi/english/index.php

I was a solo participant in the 2011 event.

Does anyone fancy a challenge?