Old December 13th 03, 11:07 PM
Arvin Chang

Default Advice for learner re. stance?

EMOVE (Tom) wrote in message ...
Apologies for familiar question..

I have been practicing (on snow) indoors at Milton Keynes and am still
struggling with anything toe side.

Looking at my stance, my lead foot angles forward a little, but my back foot is
at a right angle. I've decided to try angling the back foot forward a little as
well, as someone recommended this would make toe side things feel less
'foreign'. I also read that it helps a learner when flexing at the knees, which
seems logical as both legs follow a similar line.

However, a friend of mine said that he thinks I'd be better off going for a
duck stance right away.

I reaslise that it might be different for different people, but has anyone got
any advice, given I am struggling a bit with the toe side runs?

Many thanks,

Tom

Your binding angle setup is very common. I agree with the first
suggestion of angling the back foot a forward more so that you have
positive angles like 30,15. Duck stance (back leg negative) will be a
tiny bit better than having your foot at a right angle, but it won't
be as good as having your foot angled forward. Duck stance is better
for landing jumps and riding switch... important things, but
apparently not what you are looking for.

My informal advice when doing toesides is to set your shoulders/hips
slightly into the turn - so your driving your front knee into and
around the toeside direction and driving your back knee towards your
front knee (causes you to shift you weight towards your toes on the
back foot). This isn't the official way to visual it, it is just how I
think of it.

--Arvin