Old February 13th 06, 09:25 PM

Peter H. wrote:
After looking at the times for the corresponding bike event
(and you're about half my age!), my 5 hour estimate is probably
unduly pessimistic. But it does depend a lot on conditions.
I see no reason why the HR numbers you give for cycling shouldn't
apply to a ski race, if upper body fitness is okay. But Gary is
right to say that it takes a while for the HR to settle in, maybe more
like 10 minutes for me than an hour.

Best, Peter

I have been thinking about the 5 hour estimate, and have been trying to
calibrate myself now that I have new gear that makes a huge difference.

Looking at the profile for the bike race:
http://birkebeiner.no/dokumenter/loy...tt2005_v11.pdf

And the profile for the ski race:
http://birkebeiner.no/dokumenter/profil_renn2005.pdf

(notice one goes right-left, the other left-right)

I am starting to think the bike race has steeper climbs, and I will not
be as severly handicapped by my weight during the ski race. Less steep
would certainly help me.

But I maybe am not as bad on steep as I think. My local area has a loop
I do often. I don't know if it is 5 or 6 km (they made changes so the
map is not correct) but I do know it has over 100m of ascent. I can do
4 laps at a very comfortable pace in 55 minutes. This is at a pace I
feel I could maintain for several hours.

So 15-24 km with 400m of short steep climbs in about 1 hour. What does
that mean for the 5 hour estimate considering my 100kg?

Joseph