Old November 27th 03, 01:19 PM
funkraum

Default Chamonix v. Val D'Isere v. Verbier v. St. Anton

"S. Gione" wrote:

[...]
If you're a "Vail type" and used to being pampered, Chamonix is probably not
for you.

Agreed

The Pas de Chevre descent from Argentiere which exits opposite
Montenvers ideally requires a driver to pick you up in at the station
in Chamonix. This way, someone has the Champagne in the cooler for a
decent length of time, and can also organise a group of heavies to
meet you off the train and bludgeon lots of irritating tourists out of
the way, etc.

Failing that: Use two cars and park one in Chamonix and the other in
Argentiere. (There are a number of descents in the Alps I would like
to use this recovery method for but they keep building ski lifts on
them and connecting them up before I get around to doing them)

Failing that: A pair of plimsols in the day sack will save a lot of
wear on your ski boots and your lower legs.

I've been to about 6 European areas and, logistically, Chamonix is
the most difficult. The ski areas are scattered up/down the valley and you
have to take shuttles (crowded) from place to place. If you're "very"
advanced, this might be the place for you.

Agreed.

I think competition for top place in the league of logistical
hell-holes is between Zermatt, Chamonix and Les Arcs.

The ranking in the second-division below this super-league depends on
whether one is driving or walking to the foot of the Seilbahn.