Old February 16th 04, 07:36 AM
Dmitry

Default Excessive Leg Strain Carving at High Speeds

"Alex Kwan" wrote

I'm an intermediate snowboarder and I've only just begun to go at
highspeeds for entire runs down the mountain. The problem I have is that my
back leg seems to strain alot while carving high speeds, and by the time I
get 1/2 down a run I have to stop and rest my legs before going again... Is
this normal? Is there something wrong with my carving technique or do I
sipmly need to strengthen my legs?

I had exact same problem on my first couple of days this season.
Frankly, I still don't know exactly why this was happening. What
helped was changing the back leg binding angle from +3 to +6,
adjusting the highback for easier heel-side angulation, loosening
the back leg binding a bit (I was tightening it so snugly
it didn't allow any movement along the axis of the board, which
is essential for carving), and riding with more weight forward.

Try to ride with your back hand forward, as if you carry something
with both hands in front of you - this will help move some weight
forward.

Also try to pay attention to what your hips are doing. The
hip line should be always parallel to the slope, which means
you have to tilt your hips as you change from heel to toe
side and back.