Old January 21st 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Default What are typical low end temperatures for XC?

Funny story-
One of my friends and wife are pretty good mtb racers. I've been telling them how much fun skate skiing is and that they should try it before they go looney riding their bikes on a trainer all winter long.
So Thursday the guy went to a ski shop and bought a pair of high end race skis, CT2 poles and high end boots. He asked if the skis were ready to go and the shop said the skis come pre-waxed.
All excited, he took the new equipment out Friday. When it was -4 F, with a wind, and it had just snowed. Here in northern Wisconsin, we just got hit this week with a blast of Artic air coming down from Canada.
He called me that night and was nearly in tears after spending $800+ and finding out he had the glide of a pair of snowshoes.
I chuckled a little, then went up to his house and put some CH4 on his skis. He couldn't believe how much difference there was compared between a cold wax and the totally wrong temp pre-wax (which is probably like CH8 or 10)

I wonder how many new people we lose from this sport, when they totally miss the wax because they don't know any better, or have equipment that doesn't fit them.
--

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC

"DirtRoadie" wrote in message ...
OK, maybe this is a silly question, but while I live in an area with
regular winters (a "ski town," so to speak- SW Colorado ) the typical
temperatures put us in "banana belt" when compared to other winter
climes. While we have been getting regular -10 F nights, a day which
maxes out at 15-20 degrees F is considered VERY cold here. (and even
then we often have abundant warm sun.)

This season we have been having weather colder than we have seen in
quite some time acompanied by (mostly) much welcomed snow.

In any case, what is the coldest typical daytime temperature that
those of you in other parts of the country or world typically ski at?
And when I say "typically" I mean just that - not some extreme that
you experienced at one time or another.

Also, is there a set cutoff point for competition? If so what is it
(for race various governing bodies/rules)? (Yeah I know I could
google it, but I'l bet someone here can answer off the top of their
head.)

Just curious. TIA

DR