Old March 11th 04, 02:05 PM
-JP-

Default Alpine Downhilling

The other night I headed to a ski hill in the Rockies for some night
skiing. Being not an alpiner at all (haven't gone to a hill in more
than 20 years), when I v2 to the lift I felt the snow was funny, it
wasn't the kind of snow that I am familiar with when I xc. They were
more pellet-like, like those tiny styrofoam dust.

I took the quad to the top. What an experience! I actually didn't have
to climb first in order to ski downhill. I fell forward in less then 3
feet after I got off the quad. I thought, ok this was different. I
looked down, my skis sank and were caught in the snow. I worked my way
down, falling many times because of those pellet-like snow. If only
they were packed, it might have been better. I was surprised that
there were so many snowboarders. I must be behind the time, not
realizing this.

There were a woman and 2 kids, probably 7 or 8 years old. They were
working down near the fence. The woman was instructing the kids how to
ski. I made my parallel turn past them. Then I heard, "Mom, can I have
those thin skis too?" It didn't click until I was in the middle of the
hill. I then ha-ha-ha, and fell. I knew this was going to be a bad
night. I was skiing on my Madshus xc skis.

I thought to myself how could these people going up and down the same
hill again and again and again. I quit soon after.

-JP-