Old March 2nd 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Nobody

Default Jacket Recommendation

On 28 Feb 2007 05:55:42 -0800, wrote:
Heavenly and I was thinking of buying the jacket and pants out there.
I don't really know much about jackets so I am looking for some
recommendations. The main key for me is breathability.

I have a shell designed for snow sports. It has vents (arm pits and
chest) and a powder skirt, and the normal stuff like pockets and a
removeable hood. My fleece liner also has arm pit vents. My helmet has
vents. My pants have vents. The temperature was about 34F on Monday
when I was last on the snow, and nearly every vent was open. The trip
down was warm. The trip up the lift was cool. When I was at 13,000' in
a 20 mph wind, blowing snow and 15F, all vents were closed.

Recent additions to jackets have been wires, speakers and special
pockets for electronics, such as a cell phone or iPod. When I'm on a
mountain I'm usually too busy trying to not die to want a music player
to entertain me, however, others like music players.

My advise is to avoid jackets with built in insulation. You want to be
able to add and remove layers as conditions change.