Old December 5th 03, 02:02 PM
Joe K.

Default Follow up: V2 Aero 150 Frame failure

Here's my broken ski story, quite different from yours but worth posting
nonetheless! Last week I broke the frame on my 6600's. I weigh 165lbs. the
skis were 3 years old and had about 2400K on them. Len at Jenex replaced
both skis at no cost. I believe my skis were a prototype 6600 but he
replaced them no questions asked.

What I did learn from the experience was replace the frames before they
fatigue. When I held the frames with all the components taken off I was
quite surprised they last as long as they do. Those baby's are light - no
extra material anywhere. The stresses that roller ski frames are subject to
are quite amazing. Unfortunately I never thought of it until I was walking
back to pick up half of my ski after my fall. I plan on replacing my new
frames two years from now.

John Wayne once said, "My fault, your fault, his fault, anybody's fault,
your going to be the one who dies!" I feel that applies well here.
--
Thanks,
___o

Joe Korzenecki

"BeeCharmer" wrote in message
om...
Well, I talked to Jenex on the phone after not getting a reply to my
email (complete with color glossy photos of the torn shaft) and I was
told the following:

A. I'm too heavy for the ski
B. They couldn't possibly warranty a ski that was a year and a half
old
C. Maybe if I shoved some oak down the shaft it would work better for
me
D. They would gladly sell me two more shafts for $160.

No where, not even on the website, does Jenex give a weight limit for
their 150's. I remember they did so for the 125's after all of the
tire/wheel issues. A year and a half doesn't seem like a long time to
me. The 150 frame has been redesigned with dimples in the area that
ripped on my ski (where the fork makes a bend upward). I laughed at
the idea of making the ski even heavier with oak inserts and I don't
think that would actually help the area on the shaft that failed.

Here's the kicker, though. I called my dealer back and after calling
for a price from Jenex, said he could sell me the shafts for 120.00.
Jenex was going to make 40 bucks off me in addition to refusing to
warrantee their product?

I've been very nice with folks during the process, but I feel like I'm
being taken for a dupe. I love the ski and it is the only one that
will work for my area roads, but I don't like dealing with a company
that uses its customers as test dummies. My ski failed on an easy
downhill; what if it had failed on a run down a coulee? Len wouldn't
be dealing with an irate customer, he'd be dealing with an irate
customer's lawyer.

My two cents and, boy, do I feel better.

chris
ne iowa