Old January 18th 05, 11:24 PM
Edog

Dmitry wrote:

So... Mr. Edog, what the hell are you doing there on a long board?

I'm
really interested to know - your riding style, what runs are your

favorite, etc..
I'm heavier and taller than you (165lbs, 5'11"), and yet I have a

completely
opposite idea of what's a good board for Baker.

Sorry to follow up my own post, but I had to go and did not finish my
response. To respond to your question, from a 'theoretical'
prespective, the way I ride crud, the length of the board is
irrelevant. I approach uneven ground as providing opportunities for
turns: either A) bank off a bump or B) I ride over the bump using it to
unweight the board and turn at the top. This is what I mean by dancing
on the crud. Board length has little effect on either process. Of
course, perfect runs are rare (and cherished in memory), so one is
always cutting quickly and hard to avoid oncoming trees, making a carve
across an icey steep or some other adjustments. So my board -- even my
powder board -- needs to be able to cut quickly, sharply and hold an
edge.

I like to ride directly under chair 8, on the top part of the hill,
Canuck's Delight under chair 6 is indeed a delight as are all the trees
in that area, the face on the other side of chair 1 is cool, if I'm
into classic moguls, I like the face that falls to the base of chair 6.
On powder days, I do the Chute and Gable's, because I'm to weak a rider
to do them when they are icey.

So the board: longish, quick, supple, and passes the 'carves on ice'
test.

p.s. If you have any influence, please request lower snow levels. It is
too early for spring riding.