Old November 3rd 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default We are the champions - again!

On 2013-11-02 00:16:22 +0000, pigo said:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 9:50:01 AM UTC-6, comadrejo wrote:

The difference is mainly stats, Most NL pitchers have a lower ERA, more

innings pitch and a lower WHIP, because they face an easier out facing

another pitcher at the plate rather than a designated hitter.

You are obviously only a casual fan. That's fine. But the decisions

involved are far reaching and involve the entire line-up.

And I'm not saying that one has to be a "student of the game" to enjoy

baseball. But to one that is? The DH is an abomination.

I see it as no big deal. What the DH influences in the American League

is the emphasis on strike out pitchers, like how the Detroit Tigers

starting line up was tailored.

What I see as bigger influences on the game, are ballpark factors,

whether it is aimed at being Pitchers' Parks or Bandboxes, (Petco

Field, AT&T park, Safeco Field vs. Riverfront Stadium, Citizen Bank

Ballpark, Yankee Stadium)

Semi OBski: Altitude places like Coors Field is just a graveyard for

pitchers, Heavy Marine air like Petco and Safeco at night are home

field advantages..

I spoke to Randy Jones once when he was signing autographs for kids at Qualcomm Stadium. I asked him if he thought his sinker would have worked in Colorado. He said he wasn't sure, but his spitter still would have been good.