Old January 20th 04, 03:48 PM
Ace

Default Helmets

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:07:53 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Prompted by a previous post, what do people think about skiing helmets?

Personally, I'm a convert, but a trip to Jackson Hole is very pursuasive
(very steep, lots of tight trees, scary cliffs etc). I guess it still
very much a matter of debate and I am not in favour of making them
mandatory but I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks.

Never worn one, never likely to. I just don't feel I need it.

On the plus side:
They probably reduce the chance of serious head injury in an accident.
(although I know of no proof)

I prefer to use the accident-avoidance tactic. Anything that might
result in head injury is going to be serious in other ways, so I want
to be as certain as I can be that it doesn't happen.

On the down side:

Hearing impairment. I don't even like to ski with a hood on if I can
avoid it, as I believe that hearing is of great value in maintaining
one's personal safety. I wouldn't want this compromised by wearing a
helmet.

May encourage a wearer to take more risks (I doubt this, but I've heard
it said).

As I understand it, it's something over which the wearer has little
control. If he feels less likely to be hurt, he will be inclined to go
faster, steeper or whatever. It would take a conscious effort to avoid
this risk-compensation, which is inherent to human nature.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)