Old January 20th 04, 03:29 PM
PG

Default Helmets

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message

| Prompted by a previous post, what do people think about skiing
helmets?

For kids I think wearing helmets should be pushed more than it is....
The ESF calls it 'highly advisable' but not compulsory - maybe they
don't want to lose business..

Kids - mainly those on holiday - often go faster than their ability
allows, change direction at random, generally seem to be in a world of
their own on the pistes. When it's congested this can be really
hazardous. I've seen plenty of children taken out from behind by large
teenagers and the occasional adult, who don't allow enough overtaking
space.

A good thing about getting kids used to wearing a helmet right from the
start is that they're less bothered about the image thing as they get
older.

As for those doing a bit of competition... well there's no choice if
you're a club member. Still it's only partially reassuring when you're
watching 11 year olds going down the high speed 'kilomètre lancé' run at
Les Arcs at over 90 mph..... ,falling over is not recommended. And the
risks are just as high on days like today when the club spent the
morning skiing off piste through the forest.

Pete
http://www.skiclublesarcs.com