Old May 1st 04, 09:28 PM
Scott Elliot

Default Top Posting, And Posting: Sort Of Like Waxing

I am indifferent to whether people top post, middle post or bottom post.
The preferrable method in my opinion is to use the one that is most
applicable to the type of reply being given.

If there is a general discussion, I find it easier to read if a new point is
top posted. It comes up on my screen, I read it and if I want to know how
it relates to prior posts I can scroll down and look.

If someone is replying to specific points in a prior post it is often most
effective if the entire message is quoted with an indent or and comments
are interspaced without the indent or ,

If some is replying to one specific point in a previous point, I find it
most convenient to read if they just quote that one line and then post their
comment directly underneath.

What I do find inconsiderate are relplies, like this one, where the previous
comments are not included at all so it is difficult to know exactly what the
person is commenting on. However, this comment does not require knowledge
of previous comments to be relevant, so nothing would be accomplished by
including a quote except to fill up memory space and increase download time
for those with limited, slow or time expensive connections.

Nettiquet be damned, let's just do what works best for us.

Scott Elliot