Old October 17th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Bob F

Default No instructing for me this winter...

wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:43 am, pigo wrote:
On Oct 15, 1:32 am, Alan Baker wrote:

....but on the flipside, for working only one day a week, I did get
a season pass.

However, I'm not sure it made up for the days when I had to teach...
....anyone... ...in the rain. :-(

The season I worked I got a pass. It was a park west so not somewhere
I skied unless I "had" to. The deal was that I be available to teach
when I showed up there. I think I ended up teaching 4 lessons. I knew
what day the bump clinic deal was. So those were the days I went. I
had other passes too so it wasn't a big deal. It was enough to not
try instructing again though. Plus you know how I feel about kids. I
figured it was only a matter of time before I got stuck with some.
NOT worth it!

I have a friend who retired 18+ years ago and went to Breckenridge,
worked winters teaching just enough to get a season pass and earn some
$$$. This year, he has decided to spend the $$ and buy a season pass
and forego instructing so he doesn't have to show up when the weather
is miserable. I am waiting to see how it works out, as he was always
a very enthusiatic instructor. He even tried to teach me, and I have
agreed to never tell any of his students that he taught me, as I was
well past the age of learning easily when I took up skiing. But I do
enjoy it, even if my style is something for the "never do it like
that" section of a lesson.

Last year was the first in a decade that I didn't teach. I just bought a cheap
weekday pass, and went up every chance I got after I beat a knee problem. Doing
the same this year. It was definately more fun to just go up whenever we got a
good dump and work on my skills. I learned a lot when I taught, but it's a lot
more fun to play in the powder, which I rarely got much chance at when
instructing.

I never want to get too old to keep learning. It's what makes life worth living.