Old January 18th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Stupid helmet question ...

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:47:18 +0100, "pg"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

| The Ski Club has made it a rule that all children on Ski Freshtracks
| holidays should wear [helmets]

Going off on a slight tangent, I lunched at the Chalets de l'Arc in Arc
2000 end of December. The upper restaurant suddenly filled with Fresh
Trackers across from La Plagne for the day. Weeks since significant
snowfall, avalanche risk 1, off piste virtually impossible, it was just
a touch amusing when the whole group stripped off jackets in the steamy
atmosphere to reveal matching yellow strapped Arvas, all flashing away
throughout the meal. I managed to avoid asking whether they feared being
buried under an avalanche of tartiflette ;-) The local French thought it
was hilarious. Ah, ces rosbifs.

Understood from one of the group that it is now compulsory on certain
holidays, irrespective of the conditions/practicability of off-piste?

It's compulsory for any off-piste excursion, at any time, and it's
also compulsory for everyone on all Ski Freshtracks holidays on- or
off-piste.

Some may laugh, but there are several reasons for it, including:
1. We see it as much as an educational thing as a short-term dafety
issue - getting punters to be aware that there is always a risk and
that we should always do what we can to minimise it is a lesson worth
teaching.
2. Dunno about you, but I've seen avalanches occuring in Risk 1
conditions - 1 doesn't mean no risk at all, just that it's the lowest
measure used.
3. If you don't wear your ARVA every day, how do you make a decision
as to which days to wear it? I've even known people who don't put it
on but carry it (not switched on) in their rucksack 'just in case'.
How stupid is that?
4. We have to cart the things out to the resort with us, so we're damn
well gonna make the punters wear them ;-)

So some folk may laugh, but do we care? Do we 'eck, as like.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)