Old January 18th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
pg

Default Stupid helmet question ...

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:16:32 +0000, Alun Evans
| wrote:
|
| On Wed 17 Jan '07 at 14:25 Ace wrote:
|
| I don't want to turn this into a helmet-wars argument, such as used
| come around periodically on the cycling newsgroups (probably still
do,
| but I've not been active there for years). I would certainly never
try
| to persuade anyone that they're not a good idea, as long as no-one
| tells me that I should wear one;-)
|
| Well, it's more the legal aspects that should worry you, i.e. when a
resort
| tells you to wear one, or your insurers do. (Particularly in the US).
|
| The Ski Club has made it a rule that all children on Ski Freshtracks
| holidays should wear them, which seems to be in keeping with the trend
| in various resorts around the world. There's some info on current
| rules im various resorts on the Ski Club site at
| http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/gui...?intGuideID=24

Going off on a slight tangent, I lunched at the Chalets de l'Arc in Arc
2000 end of December. The upper restaurant suddenly filled with Fresh
Trackers across from La Plagne for the day. Weeks since significant
snowfall, avalanche risk 1, off piste virtually impossible, it was just
a touch amusing when the whole group stripped off jackets in the steamy
atmosphere to reveal matching yellow strapped Arvas, all flashing away
throughout the meal. I managed to avoid asking whether they feared being
buried under an avalanche of tartiflette ;-) The local French thought it
was hilarious. Ah, ces rosbifs.

Understood from one of the group that it is now compulsory on certain
holidays, irrespective of the conditions/practicability of off-piste?

Pete
http://mysnowsports.com