Old May 16th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Marwe Question

On May 15, 2:47*pm, Camilo wrote:
Hi: I think I know the answer to this question since I looked at the
Finn Sisu website and searched this forum and other sources.

Has anyone come up with any sort of speed reducer for a Marwe skate
roller ski? *I was just given (yes, given) *a set and haven't used
them yet. In fact, I've never roller skied preferring to ski on snow
about 100 times per year and bicycle and hike in the summer for
exercise. *I'm not interested in dedicating summer "training" towards
any goal other than having fun and staying fitter than the average
American FatA$$. *That's why I've never roller skied - no reason to
unless it's actually fun. *In fact I bristle when the stuff I do is
called "training" because for me it's just recreation, sport, fun, not
goal directed other than the above.

So now I have these things which I understand are actually top quality
roller skis. *And, I am interested in trying it to see if it's fun -
especially if I can get some upper body work.

However, it seems that everyone I know around here who roller skis
uses the Jenex V2 with speed reducer. *I'm concerned about speed
having no skills at slowing, stopping or avoiding hazards. *My plan
right now is to do some easy double poling and skiing on dead flat
roads in an industrial area (light to no traffic), but would like to
go out and do some uphill work - but would have to get down somehow.
Maybe I'll end up staging a bike at the top or something.

Thanks for any advice.

I have a friend who has designed some of the earo equipment and aux
brakes that were used on Lance's TT bikes at the Tour. I've been
talking to him about designing speed reducers for Marwe's. We haven't
persued it that much. The big question is "Is there a demand" for
something you could engage at the top of a hill and go down at a
slower speed. And how much would you be willing to pay for such a
thing? I think they would be very much the same as the V2 approach.
We're talking reducers not brakes. The V2 brakes are way too clunky
and heavy in my opinion. Is $50 too much?