Old May 16th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

Default Marwe Question

I think I saw a picture in Silent Sports a couple years ago of someone who
used the Jenex brake on Marwes. I don't have the issue anymore but maybe
someone else recalls this. The Jenex brake goes behind your calf and, I
believe, you slide the rollerski forward to engage it.

I am not a huge fan or rollerskis but they help help ease the transition to
snow. I typically start rolling in Sept or Oct, just a couple times a week.
It does really help the upper body since in recent years I've done much less
paddling in the summer and more running and biking.

Dave

wrote in message
Camilo wrote:

On May 15, 11:47 am, Camilo wrote:
Hi: I think I know the answer to this question since I looked at the
Finn Sisu website and searched this forum and other sources.

Has anyone come up with any sort of speed reducer for a Marwe skate
roller ski? I was just given (yes, given) a set and haven't used

I've seen hints at the idea, but don't know if anyone's posted
anything.

Rollerskis can be like learning to ski as an adult. Even the slightest
short downgrade, something that you could handle taking a drink,
adjusting your eqpt, etc., on snow, feels a bit like descending a
mountain. Good idea to start on flats and that should partly mitigate
the fear. Normally, it's suggested people start on wider wheels, such
as the combi, but being as you have skates find yourself an empty
parking lot or lesser used trail, and do the same sorts of drills that a
beginner would do on snow: slow no pole skate back and forth, double
poling, slow V1 and V2 alternate. Get the feel for the skates and the
fear of being on pavement first. If need be, get some knee and elbow
pads (and do wear gloves). When you're ready to try some short
downhills, consider stopping at the top and taking it like a beginner,
i.e., either a short straight run (keep breathing) or doing a snow plow
off and on, pressing down. Here's some good photos/video of how to do
it:

- http://www.fasterskier.com/training1065.html
- http://skinnyski.com/training/articl...rskiing-1.html

RM