Old November 14th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

Default Various

Mike wrote:
* At races, why don't they account for weather in the timed events. The
USSA should hire some type of physicist that would run some type of
mathematical formula that would account for changes in between run of air
temperature, wind, snow
temperature. Wouldn't it be more exact that way?

There is no telling for weather. The luck of the draw seems the fairest
way to go. For instance a typical slalom has two runs with combined time
use for final. The second run reverses the starting order as a nod
toward fairness. Keep too many "brains" out of it or there will be
charges of manipulation, etc.

* What do you think of Autumn skiing? My usual thought is that the earth
is so barren and cold it wouldn't be good. But I skied at thanksgiving a
couple of years ago. And it was kind of like spring skiing. The trail was
60 yards wide and the artificial snow swath was maybe 20 yard. There were
parts where you had to walk over dirt/grass.

Ayup (vermont affirmative), sounds about right. Though Bird Day
around here can sometimes be quite good, but can also be awful
and terribly crowded.

* Roadtrip anyone? Late one night I caught this show on pbs Passport to
adventure in which they feature Gdare (sic?) ski resort outside Tblisi,
Georgian Republic in The Caucus Mountains. Looked pretty deserted.

See write-ups in past issues of _Powder_ for little skied
ski areas including Georgia and the Kamchatka Peninsula.

* Is it ok to leave wax on your skis (without scraping) during the off
season. I live by the ocean and the salt air does a jobber on anything
metallic it seems.

Absolutely, and as you say, salt air is especially bad. Have a
an old candle or piece of canning wax around to rub on your
edges between ski trips.

* Anyone ever been to a world cup alpine event? Was it worth your while?
Did it interfere with your skiing?

Never been, but my impression from those who have is that the
view is better from a sofa in front of the TV. The beer
and warmth is better too.

--
"War is the father of all things." -Heraclitus

Actually, if Necessity is the mother of invention, then
Pat Pending is the father.