Old February 21st 04, 10:52 AM
Crosbie Fitch

Default Smoking is something to share on the same seat

I was sharing a 2-seater chair lift with a chappie in Lech (Arlberg), and he
starts to get his Rizlas out, etc.

Oh oh. Warning.

He's not going to light it though... is he?

I wait for the last minute. Yep. Out comes the zippo lighter.

"You're not smoking that now." I say in a firm, but pleasant 'or you'll be
getting off early' kind of way.

He looks back at me, catching my negative intonation and likely meaning, but
obviously not a fluent English speaker. A disdainful expression, and
slightly contemptuous shrug from him, and we return to our separate thoughts
for the rest of the journey...

.. . .

On the piste down, I get overtaken by a blind skier (with his guide).

Strange symbolism.