Old April 29th 04, 01:55 AM
Arvin Chang

Default Good Speed Board?

"skibum" wrote in message ...
Thanks Mike, I rode a 151 Never Summer EVO for all of my Alpine races and
BoarderX. It was Ok but has a little to much "pop" for BoarderX, and is to
(maybe) wide and not fast or stable enough for Alpine racing . My other
freestyle boards are a 148 Option and a 141 Ride. These are way to light
for racing. What is a good Boarder X board? Palmer? Burton, Volkl? My feet
are a size 91/2 or 10 mens. I am 5ft. 4 inches tall. What are the model
names? Thanks alot!

Yea, a Neversummer Evo is *definitely* not a good BX board. I have a
Evo 155 and like it, but it gets squirrely on me just blasting down to
the park. I have a Donek Incline 155 which is much more stable and has
great hold and and good turning capability. It is also pretty light,
good in the air as well (although much stiffer so harder for rail
tricks... but not as important in BX). As I've done many times before,
I warn that the Incline is a bit narrow... I have size 8 feet (5'8'
147 lbs) and I get boot drag at lower angles (sub-30), I got a pair of
Palmer Powerlinks Riser plates and that problem was solved.
Alternatively you can get their Wide board, which is narrow for a Wide
board - they actually have a Sasquatch which is their ultrawide board
for 11+ riders.

I bet Palmer and Volkl boards are good at BX, but have never ridden
them myself. Mike's suggestion of Salomon is good too... I spent many
happy years on riding a Salomon 450 (two boards). I don't understand
the new naming system they have... although I did ride the Definition
- good stable board, very stiff and amazing edgehold, probably good
for BX as well, but it's just a little unwieldy are lower speeds.

Realize that Mike T and I talk a lot... he was the one who convinced
me to go from a Salomon to a Donek. I find the Incline a better
alround performer compared to the Salomons... but the Definition was
great for blasting down steep slopes at high speed... very good for
landing jumps and blasting through crud (something the Evo is
noticeably weaker at)... but was very stiff making it hard to make
last minute approach adjustments and was actually hard to spin and
grab and stuff. Incline has a bit less high speed edge hold, but was
very good at slow speeds, light to swing around, easier to ollie,
etc...