Old August 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
C. Parker

Default Traffic Circles

"Walt" wrote in message

I think it's more of an east coast phenomenon. New Jersey used to be
full of them. They're common around Boston. The only one I've ever
seen in (ob)ski country is the one at Beaver Creek.

They were popular in Texas in the late 40's and early 50's. Still have a few
of them around. One of the still existing ones in Houston you will see if
you ever drive from downtown to Hobby airport. It is built under ,or rather,
I45 was built over it. It has feeding into it the north and south I45 access
roads (2 lanes each), a boulevard (2 lanes each direction) and a major
street, also 2 lanes in each direction. With the average incompetence of the
Houston driver I avoid it if at all possible. Luckily, the circle is small
enough that speed is limited, so mostly what you get are merely fender
benders, and sideswipes.

Personally, I don't like 'em - it seems to be beyond the driving ability
of most people to look before changing lanes while going around a
curve.

--
//-Walt
//