Old December 2nd 04, 11:01 PM
Dave M

Dmitry wrote:

"lal_truckee" wrote

We'll probably want to visit either Denver or SLC and stay there for
half a day, but other than that any route would be good.

Denver's too far; even SLC is too far. Cover the goodies in Canada - Red, Fernie, etc; drop down to Montana, west Wy - JH, Targhee
(ski the pass a day) come back by way of Sun Bowl (and up the Sawtooth range for a visual treat.)

Some of us might have issues with having to do paperwork for crossing the
boarder, so Canada might not be in the cards. But the rest sounds good - thanks!

Oh yea, forgot snowkiting. Sun Valley will probably be on the list too, AFAIR
they even have a snowkiting school there (if that came through, was on the
kitesurfing maillist a while ago).

PS: I just made a trip to LA a month ago. 4000 miles in a week, OR, CA
coast plus all the goodies in the Sierras (Lassen, Tahoe, Yosemite, Death
Valley, Mono Lake, etc.). It really helps to have a good comfortable car
for such trips.

There are some great smaller (ie less well known and much less crowded)
ski areas in western Montana that are more than worth the stop if you
are traveling that way anyhoo. I think that Foot2foot skied them all
and could offer some suggestions. If not, I could give you the lowdown
on a few. Big Mtn is nice but often crowded when I have been there.
Take a stop at Schweitzer in North ID, maybe then head to MT maybe Great
divide for some altitude before Big Mtn.

A week isn't long once you start traveling between points in MT and WY -
everything is pretty spread out - let alone getting there from SEA in
the winter over Snoqualmie Pass - 4.5 hrs to Spokane if decent (6-8 if
not so good or idy across central WA), then three more to Missoula if
decent and a lot longer if 4th of July Pass is snowed up. 6-7 hours on
dry roads from Spokane to Butte where you would head south to Jackson
(maybe) a *lot longer if there is weather as there are multiple mtn.
passes betwixt and Butte is even almost on one of them.

You could always go South out of SEA and hit Mt. Hood then up the gorge
on I84 then thru tri-Cities to I-90 and back on track for ID and MT. Mt.
Hood is pretty cool and the lodge is worth a stay anyway.

Rambling, I know. We have not enough to ski on and I am itchy. So much
to ski and so little snow to do it on......

Dave M.